Steamed Sweet Potato Muffins with Avocado Frosting

I have lots of sweet potatoes and fancied something different. Craving a sweet treat, I couldn't decide what to make - remembering I had made a sweet potato based smoothie, I thought why not make it into some muffins. so that's what I did!


All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers


And with my love for steamed cakes, couldn't think of a better thing to do than roll up my selves and begin the experiment. I was originally going to add avocado to the mix (I will try this next time). The consistency was somewhat watery, so I decided against it. But! I found a recipe for avocado frosting and did that instead. 

The combination was heavenly, the muffin was soft, spongy and light as air (almost), the grated sweet potato gave a wonderful texture. The aroma that hit the nose on the first bite is warm and spicy.  With the frosting I added 1/2 tablespoon of cream cheese and the sweet salty combination was amazing! 

#Top Tip: Use some ramekin dishes to hold the muffin cases, so they keep their shape. Or you could make a small cake instead!

I loved everything about this 'kitchen experiment' and can't wait to try another idea I had whilst making these, watch this space. P.s if you don't like avocado or coconut this is not for you. Though you might have a change of heart once you taste this.


Ingredients 
(makes 6)




All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers



#As with all recipes on this blog unless otherwise stated they are my own; be kind enough to, link back to original, make, share and highlight - happy sharing #


Preparation

In a medium bowl, crack and beat the egg with the sugar. Add the coconut oil and coconut milk and combine.
Sift the rice flour, self raising flour, mixed spice and baking powder into the bowl of egg mixture, and combine well - no lumps.
Add the grated and cooked sweet potato and fold into the mixture till all the ingredients are combined. 

Spoon the mixture into the *muffin cases leaving enough room for them to rise.


All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers

Fill a large pan halfway with water for steaming and heat till boiling. Gently place the container with the muffins in the boiling pan on a rivet in the centre of the pan. 
Cover and steam over high heat for 20 minutes, or until they are springy to the touch. Remove from the steamer and let cool.


All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers

Whilst the muffins are cooling you can go ahead and make the frosting found here. I add 1/2 tablespoon of  cream cheese and vanilla bean paste. I also had to use a lot more icing sugar because my avocado was watery.


All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers



*if you don't use a muffin tin or ramekin dish they won't hold their shape* 
All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers

So, the next 3 I placed in ramekin dishes.



Frost those muffins and you're done!





                   Bon Appétit!!



All rights to images reserved  (c)Alicia Lewis @ KitchenTakeovers








***Disclaimer: Any of the information within this blog post and others on this site is for information and educational purposes only and is NOT intended to be taken as diagnosis, treatment, cure or  to prevent any disease. Any reader concerned about his or her health is advised to seek medical advice from their GP or relevant medical professional***

Labels: ,